Sunday, February 19, 2006

Curious George on Attachment


Mark and I spent all day yesterday in a required adoption class- where we learned that the term "reunion" is bad...and that you are supposed to say "was adopted” not "is adopted". We also watched an hour long video that was made when I was in about 7th grade about adoption- which had some merit- but was so outdated that it was difficult to watch. Mark and I felt like we could have finished the day in about 2 hours. Afterwards, we went with my close friend and her family to see the Curious George movie. Mark and I, almost simultaneously, said after the movie ended, that we learned more about attachment from Curious George and the Man in the Yellow Hat than in 5 hours of required adoption class. Honestly, the scene where George and than Man in the Yellow Hat are walking through the city and the monkey sees all of the children being loved by their parents and then he mimics every action was so well done. It even demonstrated how children will regress when they are attaching- at one point George curls up into the cradle position and sticks his thumb in his mouth...and then he sticks his thumb into The Man in the Yellow Hat's mouth...after which the audience of little kids all groaned "Grossssss!"

We are still only telling people about the adoption in a slow process. And of course we have upset people along the way. I guess everyone said to expect that. It is funny though, when I know someone knows about the adoption and they don't mention it. If I were 6 months pregnant right now everyone would be asking me how I am feeling and how things are going, have we thought about names, do we know about a referral yet...etc. We get some of that. But only from a very few people. It’s different. It’s different for us and for them. I think a lot of people just don't know what to say. Anyway, I am getting more and more excited, as is Mark. The kids are probably the most excited. Cal keeps wanting to talk about names. We looked at a bunch of the older waiting kids...just to see if one of them fit. That is not an easy thing to do. They are all beautiful and all deserve to have a home. We just keep praying that God will help the Barr kid in Ethiopia find his mom and dad (in yellow hats) quickly.

No comments: