Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Where I began

Early April will always conjure up a fair amount of grief in me. It was early April in 1991 when, within one week, I lost two people in my life. The first was my husband's father. An amazing man, whom I never got to really know in the way I would have liked, because I was so young myself when he was diagnosed with ALS and died. But I have these 5 kids who will never have a relationship with their grandfather, never know him, never be able to share their stores with him...and this makes me sad. And my Tina...I only knew her for less than a year- but her life and her death and her family forever changed me. I met her when I decided to "volunteer" for a year after college and ended up at Starcross Community.

This year (1991) was arguably one of the toughest and most challenging times in my life, and also one of the most beautiful and precious. I can compare it to the early times with all of my children- a time where there is very real fatigue, intense emotions and the giving over to someone else's will. This giving over that happens as a parent is really, in my opinion, a process that seems to take a life time for some and a moment for others. But at the end of the day, it is what its all about.

11 “But the greatest among you shall be your servant. 12 “Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled; and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted.

Because of Tina, and Julie and Marti and Toby and David and Nicky and Michelle and Holly - I am who I am today. Because of all of them, there are children without parents, with a chronic disease, with HIV, which still carries such stigma, coming home to mamas and daddys who will adore them. How one small child can change the face of generations is beyond me. And I cannot take credit for what is well beyond me.

This is a thank you to the families who are following their hearts all over the world to bring home children with HIV. You are affecting generations upon generations with your love.

2 comments:

Tymm said...

hey there - you posted about the letter I linked to on our blog - its a PDF file - can you not open it? I will send you the copy in an email if you'd like. Just let me know where to send it.

Thanks for the kind words!

Thankfulmom said...

Em,

I remember you telling me about Tina many years ago when I first met you. Who would have ever imagined we would both be where we are today with the beautiful children God has given us?

Lisa