Sunday, December 24, 2006

What decorating a tree and a massive snowstorm looks like to a little Ethiopian Drummer Boy

If I could play music while you view this Blog post it would be David Bowie and Bing Crosby singing their famous version of The Little Dummer Boy.

Today it was reported in the New York Times that Ethiopia and Somalia continue fighting. Well, Ethiopia is now admitting to the fighting. On the eve of our Saviors birth. Here it is Christmas morning- early- the time when the sugarplums are dancing in heads and children are all nestled…and I turn on the computer so I can print a photograph and this article is there – published less than 20 minutes ago:
Anti-American sentiment is sweeping across Africa

So…as you look at my photos – the kids that one year ago were brought to the orphanage- one year ago when we went to bed on Christmas eve not knowing if this adoption would happen and on Christmas morning we knew it would…as you look at the photos and as you read the article about the fighting in Somalia…play this song in your head- hear David Bowie and Bing Crosby singing….

Come they told me pa-rum-pum-pum-pum
A new-born king to see pa-rum-pum-pum-pum
Our finest gifts we bring pa-rum-pum-pum-pum
Rum-pum-pum-pum, rum-pum-pum-pum



Peace on Earth, can it be
Years from now, perhaps we'll see
See the day of glory
See the day, when men of good will
Live in peace, live in peace again

Peace on Earth, can it be
Every child must be made aware
Every child must be made to care
Care enough for his fellow man
To give all the love that he can

((This is what 2 feet of snow in 24 hours looks like to a little boy from a village near Sodo, Ethiopia))


I pray my wish will come true
For my child and your child too
He'll see the day of glory
See the day when men of good will
Live in peace, live in peace again


This is what the holidays often feel like to most of us...we want to run screaming but are held together by the JOY of the Miracle of Christ.

Peace on Earth, can it be
Can it be

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are amazing! I am so glad I am not wearing mascara this morning. I love you dearly and truly.